Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Camp Create


I've got several projects for you today! I meant to participate in the June Camp Create, but time got away on me. However, I knew I had to make time for these challenges! I just recently got the newest 12 colours of Distress Oxide inks, so I found a way to use these on all my projects!



First up- the Inlaid Made Easy! Inlaying Die-cuts is really a great technique for when you want to put a die cut over a background, but you don't want the die cut to get washed out. I started off with a blending Distress Oxide inks on some white cardstock. I really wanted a fun background, so I took my Floral Fantasy background image and spritzed it with water. I pressed that onto the blended background for a few seconds and waited for the oxide magic to happen. I love how it has a suede like look! Once that was dry, I die cut the word celebrate once from white, and once from the background so I could inlay the die. The final touch was adding the "You're kind of a big deal" sentiment from Happy Hippos.




The second challenge was Magnificent Masking. I didn't make a whole background scene, but I did mask together these two characters (Beary Special Birthday and Happy Hippos) and a pile of presents. Once I had that birthday scene all set to go, I decided to add it to a stenciled background made with the Cascading Scallops stencil and distress oxide inks. I went with these products because I thought the swoosh of the stencil went nicely with the cake design and I could choose distress inks (Peacock Feathers, Fossilized Amber, Abandoned Coral) that nicely coordinated with the Copic colours I used.






The third challenge was background bonanza. It's funny, because I started out this one with the intention of using the first part of my stenciling, but I decided to use the other piece instead. I taped my Sun Ray stencil to some card stock and blended distress oxide over it. I like how it looked, but decided to make use of the stencil a second way. Since there was ink all over it, and I had to wash it off anyway, I spritzed water over the stencil and then used that to stamp to my paper. I loved the look! I decided to use a sentiment from the Rainbow of Happiness and coordinating die (now retired), a few Wplus9 clouds and also added a few sequins to finish it off



The fourth challenge is Monochromatic Magic. I got out my Large Desert Blooms (now retired) and decided to figure out something. Once again, I got out three Distress Oxide inks (Lucky Clover, Twisted Citron, and Peeled Paint) I smooshed them all over a clear block, spritzed some water and "stamped" with it on some white card stock. Next, I stamped the small leaf all over in Lucky Clover. I really like the painted look to the background. Keeping with the monochromatic theme, I die cut the word hello from the Hello There set and added "a birthday" from Hand Lettered Hello.


The fifth challenge is Delightful Die-cutting. I kept my die-cut Celebrate from the above die-cut inlay challenge and decided to make a card around that. I wanted it to be a bit more impactful so I layered it with 2 more layers of white die-cuts and also clear embossed it. The background was really fun. I chose 4 distress oxides (Salty Ocean, Twisted Citron, Fossilized Amber and Spiced Marmalade) and blended those loosely on the white cardstock to match up with the same colours on the die-cut word. I spritzed some water and also got out the non-oxide versions of those same inks for some ink splatters. Once again, I found a greeting from the Happy Hippos set to finish it off nicely.


Here's a close-up of the shine on that celebrate:


The final challenge, a bonus bonfire challenge was Awesome Ombre. I was inspired by how the colouring was completed in the video, so I attempted a similar style with my hippo and the balloons. Once again, I couldn't stay away from incorporating Distress Oxides. I decided to make an Ombre background. I used some washi tape to make even stripes and then I started blending with Black Soot. I had a heavy hand at the one end and really tried to evenly dissipate my blending as I got closer to the other side. I think it worked out pretty well. I realize that black and grey may not seem like the "hip hippiest hooray" colours, but with the pop of colour from the balloons, I think it works!




1 comment:

  1. All your cards are seriously fab Natasha, loving that sweet little hippo and all the fabulous designs with the word dies, so very clever!

    ReplyDelete